I. Position Information
Job Title: Socio-Economic Officer
Duty Station: Mount Lebanon - Lebanon
Section/Unit: Social and Local Development Portfolio
Reports to: UNDP Mount Lebanon Area Manager
Project/s reference: 00084708
Pay Level: SC8
Source of Funding: LHSP
Duration of Employment: 12 months
The United Nations Development Programme jointly with the Ministry of Social Affairs (MoSA) launched the "Lebanese Host Communities Support Project" (LHSP) as a comprehensive, coordinated and durable response towards the Syrian Crisis and its implications on the country. The project is developed under a number of guiding principles which drive the activities of UNDP to support Lebanon and the host communities, as well to support national and local institutions through capacity building to respond to the impact of the Syrian crisis in Lebanon and the pre-existing problems before the Syrian crisis and exacerbated by the current situation. These include: efficient utilization of funds by targeting the national and local mechanisms that can impact positively the response to the challenges, and have a multiplier effect across sections; and by targeting most vulnerable host communities; ensuring stakeholder participation in the affected areas in the identification, implementation and monitoring of interventions in a transparent manner; treating social stability as both a targeted activity as well as a cross cutting theme; and, developing local capacities to operate and maintain the interventions after completion to ensure sustainability.
The Project seeks to help increase stability, specifically in the areas affected by the Syrian crisis, through improving livelihood and service provision in a conflict sensitive manner. It aims at contributing to improved community security, economic recovery and social stability in the affected areas through a community based approach which will increase livelihood options and local level service delivery.
Under the overall guidance of CTA and direct supervision of the Mount Lebanon Area Manager, the Socio-Economic Officer should, among other tasks, execute field visits and assist in the coordination and implementation of projects at the local level as well as coordination with local entities and partners, including Local Economic Development Agencies (LEDA), while providing them with technical support to reinforce their functioning to identify initiatives and ensure their proper implementation.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
The Socio-Economic Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Support the facilitation of groups, and prepare all meetings of the Thematic and Regional Working Groups;
- Assist in the preparation of the agenda and act as secretariat for the meetings, and prepare updated minutes;
- Provide technical assistance to sector-specific groups in line with their needs identified and set an assistance mechanism to strengthen the capacities of beneficiaries.
- Provide business development advice to local target entrepreneurs
- Support the local entrepreneurs in establishing business to business linkages, mainly in the framework of the prioritized territorial value chains
- Assess projects’ financial projections and feasibility
- Assist the Area Manager in the elaboration of a comprehensive UNDP LHSP Work Plan in the sectors that have been identified and prioritized.
- Assist the Area Manger in the preparation of the projects’ data sheet and the budget breakdown
- Follow up and Coordinate activities in the above-mentioned sectors with all the involved stakeholders.
- Conduct field visits and meetings with partners and project beneficiaries, and assist the Area manager in the monitoring of the portfolio projects based on work plan and expected output results.
- Prepare comprehensive periodic reports to the Area Manger on the implementation of the projects detailing the LHSP progress and provide recommendations for improvement; advise on shortfalls and recommend corrective action;
- Perform Value Chains Analysis and Researches and deliver appropriate reports including Quantitative and Qualitative relative data.
- Support and reinforce the functioning of LEDA’s, with particular reference to the elaboration of the operational manual and capacity building of the board members of the organization and the technical staff, etc..
- Liaise with the LEDA director to set up a business plan and yearly plan for LEDA’s activities and follow up to ensure its proper implementation.
- Support the LEDAs in the projects’ identification, planning and implementation while linking them to funding opportunities.
- Facilitate partnerships and coordination with decentralized cooperation missions.
- Draft correspondence related to programme or project substance, follow up, respond to queries on programme matters;
- Perform any other relevant duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
The candidate shall have the following competences:
• Good knowledge in local productive system analysis and promotion
• Good knowledge of startups, MSMEs and business development environment.
• Good knowledge in territorial partnerships’ promotion and management
• Sufficient knowledge in Local Economic Development and strategic planning
• Good knowledge about Territorial Marketing principles
• Strong organizational and problem – solving skills
• Ability to work independently, multitask, and work under pressure
• The candidate shall have particular capacity of team working, supervision, and gathering different people towards shared objectives and actions.
V. Recruitment Qualifications
A Bachelor degree in economics, business administration, local economic development, or related fields with 5 years of relevant experience or Graduate degree with 3 years of relevant experience in business development, support to MSMEs and value chains.
• Experience in field work with international and/or local humanitarian and development agencies.
• Experience in local economic development agencies or similar structures (business centers, chamber of commerce, incubators, etc.) to facilitate economic development would be an asset.
• Experience in working to support MSMEs, Start-ups and value chains.
• Experience and knowledge of UNDP policies and procedures and experience from previous UN assignments and/or multilateral banks or bi-lateral aid organizations would be an asset.
Fluent in Arabic and English, French is an asset.