I. Position Information
Job Title: Technical Field Officer-Agriculture
Duty Stations: Tripoli – Lebanon
Section/Unit: Social and Local Development Programme
Reports to: Area Manager
Project reference: 00084708
Pay Level: SC7
Source of Funding: LHSP
Duration of Employment: One Year (Renewable)
The United Nations Development Programme jointly with the Ministry of Social Affairs (MoSA) launched the "Lebanese Host Communities Support Project" (LHSP) as a comprehensive, coordinated and durable response towards the Syrian Crisis and its implications on the country. The project is developed under a number of guiding principles which drive the activities of UNDP to support Lebanon and the host communities, as well to support national and local institutions through capacity building to respond to the impact of the Syrian crisis in Lebanon and the pre-existing problems before the Syrian crisis and exacerbated by the current situation. These include: efficient utilization of funds by targeting the national and local mechanisms that can impact positively the response to the challenges, and have a multiplier effect across sections; and by targeting most vulnerable host communities; ensuring stakeholder participation in the affected areas in the identification, implementation and monitoring of interventions in a transparent manner; treating social stability as both a targeted activity as well as a cross cutting theme; and, developing local capacities to operate and maintain the interventions after completion to ensure sustainability.
The Project seeks to help increase stability, specifically in the areas affected by the Syrian crisis, through improving livelihood and service provision in a conflict sensitive manner. It aims at contributing to improved community security, economic recovery and social stability in the affected areas through a community based approach which will increase livelihood options and local level service delivery.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Area Manager, the Technical Field Officer (TFO), will be primarily responsible for managing, planning, monitoring, supervising and coordinating field level activities along with strengthening capacity of community organizations. One of the major roles of the TFO will be to provide primary support to the Area Manager to establish strong coordination and linkages among stakeholders and beneficiaries to ensure that program activities and projects are implemented successfully.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
Under the direct supervision of the Area Manager, the incumbent will perform the following functions:
1. Assist in the elaboration of a comprehensive UNDP intervention plan for the area through the identification of thematic projects based on MRR results.
2. Undertake all field coordination, supervision and follow up of projects under implementation and make sure quality products are delivered to the beneficiaries.
3. Establish and maintain positive working relations with municipalities and relevant community stakeholders to ensure cooperation and success of project implementation.
4. Provide technical inputs in the identification, formulation and implementation of agricultural projects in terms of budgets, technical viability and compliance as well as relevance to beneficiaries.
5. Support in the development and maintenance of relations with local authorities and other local actors in the North.
6. Support the implementation of the Mapping of Risks and Resources (MRR) process for the preparation of municipal action plans through a participatory approach process.
7. Ensure efficient support to and coordination with engineering consultants contracted through Long Term Agreements to support project design and implementation in the North.
• Prepare timely field reports on progress of various projects.
• Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and final progress reports.
• Manage and administer all contracts related to projects under his/her responsibility.
• Keep accurate records and archives of all projects/activities, including financial records, data, pictures, reports, correspondence and minutes with respective municipalities and contractors.
• Perform other tasks if instructed by the Area Manager.
IV. Personal Competencies
• Good knowledge of the area/region and its local customs including Impact of Syrian crisis.
• Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and problem solving skills.
• Ability to plan and prioritize own workload.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Computer literate.
• Valid Driving license is a must.
• Ability to assume responsibility and to coordinate with others.
• Effective oral and written communication skills.
• Attention to detail and ability to handle tasks accurately.
• Willing to travel regularly to the project sites.
V. Recruitment Qualifications
University degree in Agricultural Engineering or other direct relevant field.
• Bachelor degree with minimum of 4 years of experience or Master Degree with minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience in local development with international and/or local NGOs/agencies and authorities.
• Experience in dealing with contractors and contract compliance is desirable.
The candidate should either be residing in the North region or willing to relocate to the North during the entire period of this contract.
Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic. (French is a plus).